Trump Announces Two-Week Ceasefire with Iran, Reopening of Strait of Hormuz

US President Donald Trump holds an executive order he just signed during the inaugural parade inside Capital One Arena, in Washington, DC, on 20 January 2025.
Jim Watson/AFP
US President Donald Trump announced a two-week ceasefire with Iran, suspending planned strikes in exchange for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. He said the move could pave the way for a longer-term agreement.

US President Donald Trump announced a two-week ceasefire with Iran on Tuesday evening, under which the United States will suspend planned air strikes while Tehran reopens the Strait of Hormuz.

In a post on the Truth Social platform, Trump said he sees an opportunity for a long-term agreement with Iran, citing a 10-point proposal submitted by the Iranian leadership as a suitable basis for negotiations.

The president said he had spoken with Shehbaz Sharif and Asim Munir before making the decision. According to Trump, they urged him to temporarily refrain from launching a planned large-scale air strike against Iran. In return, Iran agreed to fully and immediately reopen the Strait of Hormuz and guarantee its security.

‘This is a bilateral ceasefire,’ Trump wrote, adding that the United States had already achieved its military objectives.

He said Washington had ‘met and exceeded’ its goals and was well positioned to reach a final agreement on long-term peace with Iran and broader stability in the Middle East. Trump added that the two-week period could be sufficient to finalize such a deal.

The ceasefire was announced shortly before the expiration of a 10-day ultimatum previously set by the US president, which had been due to end at 8pm Washington time.

Earlier, Trump had said that intensive consultations were under way with Iranian officials, while also warning in a separate post that failure by Iran to meet US demands could result in severe consequences, including large-scale strikes targeting infrastructure such as power plants and bridges.


Related articles:

At a time when public debate is increasingly polarized and superficial, Hungarian Conservative remains committed to depth, intellectual honesty, and independent conservative thought.

Producing high-quality journalism requires resources. Your contribution helps us expand our coverage, reach new audiences, and keep our content accessible.

Please consider supporting our mission.

Donate Now
Iran War Update: Signals of Victory?
The Iran War and the Return of the Huntingtonian Instinct
US President Donald Trump announced a two-week ceasefire with Iran, suspending planned strikes in exchange for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. He said the move could pave the way for a longer-term agreement.

CITATION

Please consider supporting our mission.

At a time when public debate is increasingly polarized and superficial, Hungarian Conservative remains committed to depth and independent thought.

Donate Now

Please consider supporting our mission.