One Dead, Several Seriously Injured after Explosion at MOL Plant in Tiszaújváros

Photo from the scene on 22 May 2026
Péter Magyar/Facebook
A deadly explosion occurred during the restart of an industrial unit at MOL’s petrochemical facility in Tiszaújváros on Friday. One person was killed, and several others suffered serious injuries, while emergency crews continue firefighting operations.

A deadly explosion occurred Friday morning at the MOL Group petrochemical facility in Tiszaújváros, leaving one person dead and several others seriously injured.

Prime Minister Péter Magyar announced the incident on Facebook and expressed his condolences to the family of the victim.

No Title

No Description

According to the prime minister, Energy Minister István Kapitány was travelling to the site together with MOL chairman and CEO Zsolt Hernádi.

In a later post, he added that firefighters are already on the scene. Seven people were seriously injured, while one passed away. He added that more information will be revealed during the day, as the investigation into the incident is already underway.

Photos shared online showed thick black smoke rising from the facility.

No Title

No Description

Dávid Dojcsák, spokesperson for the disaster management authority in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, said that firefighting operations were ongoing and that a mobile laboratory unit had been dispatched to the scene.

MOL later confirmed that the explosion occurred during the restart of the Olefin 1 unit at its Tiszaújváros site. The company said firefighters had managed to contain the blaze, although intervention efforts were still underway.

The company confirmed one fatality and said several people suffered serious injuries. Experts are investigating the circumstances of the accident.

Tiszaújváros Mayor György Fülöp said in a Facebook video that there was currently no need for public protection measures following the explosion.

No Title

No Description

He added that city officials remained in constant contact with disaster management authorities and MOL leadership while rescue and firefighting operations continued.

Hungary’s disaster management agency said large numbers of industrial firefighters had been deployed to the site alongside professional firefighters from Tiszaújváros and Miskolc, as well as the county disaster management operations service and the mobile laboratory unit.

Emergency crews are using water cannons and foam jets from multiple directions to extinguish the fire and cool the affected systems, authorities said.


Related articles:

At a time when public debate is increasingly polarized and superficial, Hungarian Conservative remains committed to depth, intellectual honesty, and independent conservative thought.

Producing high-quality journalism requires resources. Your contribution helps us expand our coverage, reach new audiences, and keep our content accessible.

Please consider supporting our mission.

Donate Now
Explosions at Oil Refineries in Hungary, Romania Spark Sabotage Suspicions
Largest Russian Attack Hits Transcarpathia as Hungary’s New Govt Takes Office 
A deadly explosion occurred during the restart of an industrial unit at MOL’s petrochemical facility in Tiszaújváros on Friday. One person was killed, and several others suffered serious injuries, while emergency crews continue firefighting operations.

CITATION

Please consider supporting our mission.

At a time when public debate is increasingly polarized and superficial, Hungarian Conservative remains committed to depth and independent thought.

Donate Now

Please consider supporting our mission.