The creation of the Grand Boulevard was one of the most ambitious projects ever of the City Works Council, established in 1870. Spanning 25 years, the construction of the road leading from Margaret Bridge to Boráros Square in Pest was carried out in phases, significantly influencing the city’s spatial structure.
Arguably, architecture in Budapest has always been used as a means of political and cultural expression. Thus, restoring the Castle District can be viewed as a way to reclaim Hungary’s lost heritage and reconnect with its historical identity.
In 1881, the Hungarian State Railways started building the new railway station at a changed location, near Kerepesi Road, at present-day Baross Square. The construction of the Central Passenger Hall was overseen by Gyula Rochlitz, an architect and MÁV supervisor whose designs were also used for the construction of the Hungarian State Railways headquarters on Andrássy Avenue and the first Danube connecting bridge.
After a lengthy period of uncertainty, it was decided that the final traffic arrangement for the bridge would be determined through a consultation process involving residents with a Budapest address. Among the questions posed, the most significant one concerned the future traffic arrangement for the bridge: whether to continue with buses, taxis, and cyclists, or to allow the return of private cars as well. In late June, Karácsony announced the results of the consultation, with 79 per cent of those who voted supporting the car-free option.
The minister advocated for strengthening ties between the European Union and Central Asia, urging the prompt signing of the EU-Kyrgyzstan Enhanced Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, which was initialled in 2019.
With the completion of the renovation of the M3 metro line, the implementation of the Reawakening Boulevards urban development concept has entered a new phase. The refurbished metro line and the decreasing motor vehicle traffic in central Budapest now provide an opportunity for the revival of the once glorious boulevards that have been reduced to city centre ‘highways.’